Additionally, while at the post office, I did some asking around of my own and got the skinny on the new postal regulations... here is what I found out:
- Anything less than 1 oz. can be mailed with a Forever Stamp, which is currently $0.42.
- Anything 1 oz. to 2 oz. (which includes most wedding invitations) can be mailed with a special wedding stamp.
Here’s the important part:
- USPS Postage Stamp Rates increased on May 11, 2009.
- The First Class rate increased to $0.44.
- The new wedding stamp was issued at a rate of $0.61.
However, all this being said, it is always best to take a completed/stuffed invitation to at lease 2 post offices for weighing and rate purposes. Two you ask? Yes two! It sounds crazy, but often times different post offices will provide different rates! A bride was recently quoted anywhere from $0.85 to $1.15 to mail her invitation! That is a big difference and the last thing you want is to find that your beautiful invitations have made their way back to your mailbox!